Xpra: Ticket #1684: proxy instance fd pass-through
When we start the server from the proxy, we shouldn't need to start a proxy instance: we could just pass the existing socket connection to the new server subprocess.
This will make the connection much quicker and efficient.
- new command line argument:
--socket-fd, does the new server need to dup() the fd?
- hard to re-inject the hello packet, maybe we'll need some sort of secondary channel to send it. Use the regular unix socket with a domain specific message type for that? ie:
socket-fd-hello fd hellopacketdata
- will ping packets cause problems if we are slow to start?
- make sure we close the fd from the proxy side after the handover
- we may lose the ability to do hardware accelerated encoding since the proxy may have higher privileges - so maybe there should be an option to enable this
See also #1680.
Wed, 28 Mar 2018 06:16:53 GMT - Antoine Martin: milestone changed
changed from 3.0 to future
Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:31:00 GMT - migration script:
this ticket has been moved to: https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/1684