Xpra: Ticket #900: google chrome fail to start

After upgrading to xpra 0.15.2, from the apt repository, google chrome no longer start. I am running Ubuntu 14.04, both client (32 bit) and server (64 bit).

Symptom: after upgrading restarting both server and client, I type DISPLAY=100 screen as usual, on the server. Starting firefox from screen works as before. But starting google chrome resulting no window being forwarded. The chrome is running on the server. Starting chrome from a forwarded X session works. starting chrome with no command line options, still no forwarded window.

Downgrading the client to 0.15.1 while the server is still running 0.15.2 does not solve the problem. Only downgrading both server and client returns chrome forwarding back to work.

Cannot find anything strange on either server or client log.

Mon, 29 Jun 2015 08:14:27 GMT - Antoine Martin: status changed

Very odd, I see nothing in any of the fixes that could explain this. But chrome does do weird things. Will try it asap.

Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:36:15 GMT - Antoine Martin:

Bisected down:

Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:56:43 GMT - Antoine Martin:

Yep, I did the backport all wrong, fixup in r9768. And this new error only triggered for applications that set the decorations flag, and chrome does - and I didn't test that as I should have.

A related problem is that early window setup errors don't trigger log messages because it is very hard to differentiate a bug (like this one) from other harmless failures (ie: the window has gone away) - but I'll try to make this better.

I am not going to release 0.15.3 just for this one fix. I'm just spinning more packages as 0.15.2-2 instead, they'll land in the repos in the next few hours.

Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:07:01 GMT - Jiang: status changed; resolution set

I can verify that this is fixed in 0.15.2-2. Thank you for being so responsive and efficient!

Tue, 07 Jul 2015 03:13:24 GMT - Antoine Martin:

FYI: r9820 should allow us to catch early window setup failures in the future (may backport)

Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:09:14 GMT - migration script:

this ticket has been moved to: https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/900